A condition in which sperm count is lower than normal is called as oligospermia.
Generally it is considered when the sperm count is <15 million sperm/ml.When there is no sperm that condition is called as azoospermia.
Usually low sperm count is in association with low motility and abnormal shapes of sperm as well.
A couple trying to have a baby for more than 1 yrs, yet not able to conceive, than low sperm count may be the reason for not conceiving.
In such situations couple should consult an infertility specialist consultant.
Causes of low sperm count
In about 50% cases no cause can be found, in rest following may be present:
- Heat: Increased temperature in scrotal region by any mean (for example sauna bath, wearing tight clothes, exposure to heat at work place, keeping Laptops in lap for long periods etc)
- Obesity: Abdominal fat in excess also increases the scrotal temperature
- Addiction: smoking and alcohol
- Medical condition like varicocele
- Genetic factors
- Certain in generalized drugs &illnesses
- Use of anabolic steroids for muscles building.
Treatment for low sperm count
To avoid heat: wear loose cotton clothes instead of tight clothes, minimize the exposure to heat
Avoid keeping Laptop in Lap
Stop addiction like smoking and alcohol.
Some vitamins & antioxidants also may help in Low Sperm count.
Finally in case of low sperm count and low sperm motility ART (Assisted Reproductive Technology) should be use to facilitate conception by IUI (Intra uterine insemination) or by IVF ICSI (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection).
For more queries contact us at: 9717252619 / 011-40105555
Best infertility doctor in Pitampura/ Best IVF Centre in Rohini/ ICSI treatment in Delhi/ Low cost IVF treatment in Delhi/ What is low Sperm count/ low sperm count treatment/ Best infertility specialist in Delhi